Popular Posts

Wednesday 2 February 2011

Food Photography in Cheshire



Food Photography can be hard work for some photographers with images produced looking flat and unappealing. My approach is different in many way's regardless of the fact who the client is at the time, certain rules I follow help to establish a positive approach first.


1. I do some research on my client before the first consultation find out how photography has been approached before. You will be surprised how many clients have never seemed the importance of good photography and frequently  use a small compact or mobile phone to photograph .


2. Where are the photographs going to be used, local magazines adverts, web sites or brochure work.


3 Good communication with the kitchen is of great importance and paramount in achieving the very best images. The Chef is generally my best critic, if he is impressed with the images then I'm half way there. I discuss what are the signature dishes and how they are presented, it's no good the Chef presenting dishes that are specials or one off' window dressing dishes  if when the public enter they don't represent the establishment. This would only damage the reputation of the business.


4. Apart from a little tool bag of essentials like a water sprayer, cotton buds and tweezers, I don't dress food up for the camera. Some photographers do use tricks and tamper with the food like sugar glaze etc. But I think keeping it real shines through the final images anyway.


5. If the final images make you and everyone who views my work hungry then the job is done, remember one good image in an advert or on a web site should speak volumes about the business.


6. Food should be treated like any other still life subjects and well lit is essential to achieving the best results. Open any local magazine or go through various web sites and you will find loads of poor examples of food photography where these simple rules have been broken or simply not put into practice. I find the best place to photograph is in the dining room with many bright windows giving loads of natural light. Try using a flash and bounce it off the ceiling to remove shadows. The aim is natural looking food shots .


7. I pay attention not only to the food but the arrangement of the setting, for example the style of plates and bowls, are the knives and forks clean and free of scratches. I try not to clutter the shot keep it clean and simple remember the food is of the most importance in the final image.


8. I find that speed is so important, a sorbet for example takes seconds before you have just water on the plate.  I work quickly and communicate with the kitchen I'm always prepared for what is coming out next. It's no good changing batteries in a flash or finding your memory card is full just when the souffle is coming out.


9. Presentation is so important, just like landscape photography the rule of three thirds applies here too. A balanced looking dish is ideally what I require so height, colour and shapes need to apply.


10. I have pointed out some of the essential steps that I take to achieve the results I desire, check out my web site for yourself  http://www.lindenadamsphotography.co.uk/  and if you have any questions then drop me a line .  


Now who's hungry ?

No comments:

Post a Comment