Popular Posts

Monday 28 February 2011

Paranormal for rent

2008 saw many new encounters and changes for me, one of those changes was a new address Weslyn Coppenhall Lane Crewe.
A two bedroom bungalow freshly painted and modernised being single at the time this I thought would form a great bachelor pad. After a few weeks I found out that the bungalow was in fact a newly converted John Wesley Chapel which from the outside you would of never of guessed such was the transformation.
A few weeks passed by and apart from light bulbs frequently blowing and taps seemingly switching themselves on nothing out of the ordinary happened.
The floor space in the bungalow had allowed me to use it as a make shift studio, photographing mainly fashion and glamour work, it also had quite a large attic space you could clearly see the old brick line from the Chapel dating back to 1803.
One of the major draw backs of living here was the damp, which was only evident some weeks into living there. It did cause huge issues with the walls eventually destroying clothes.
I was considering moving because of this issue but another factor played a huge part in my decision to move...  I was sharing with non paying residents of the paranormal kind.
One particular night March the 7th 2008 I was sat in my living room enjoying a peaceful evening with my girlfriend when she felt that something was strange in the room. Which upset her to the point of tears; I also felt that the temperature had changed. With always a camera at hand I decided to fire off a few shots around the house. Nothing seemed to be evident in the shots so I progressed into all the rooms. It was my spare room that grabbed my attention; the temperature was dramatically colder even though all radiators were on the same level throughout.  You could see your breath in this room so I turned around and photographed various areas including my spare wardrobe. The mirror seemed to pick something strange up so I up loaded the images to my computer to get a clearer look. I’m sure opinions will be different and some may find them questionable. For me I could see a few characters in the mirror, one of those characters almost seems like a black and white period photo. On closer inspection I came to the conclusion that the image to the right hand side looks like a woman in period dress from the 1800’s holding a baby. The other strange image is the shape sat on my bed in the reflection almost gargoyle in looks and my ruffled duvet cutting through the image.  From then on having never experienced any kind of spookiness in my life before to say I was a little freaked out would be an understatement.
Click on the images to enlarge

Original image in colour


The second night I photographed the same wardrobe at the same time same camera and settings to see if it was something on the mirror or camera but nothing.

The day after shot


Weeks passed with no other evidence of strange goings on apart from the taps continually switching on and of course the bulbs blowing. One thing was evident to me was this heavy atmosphere this is the hardest thing to describe without experiencing it yourself. It felt weird I felt watched on occasions as well but I put this down to the previous events still spooking me . Some days the house would feel pleasant and homely other days in felt quite the opposite.

The next photo was taken on the very last day of leaving the house ( Chapel) I had cleared all my stuff out but decided I'd use the toilet before I left . Now I know this photo is odd because I stood in front of the loo, whilst I was stood there I felt as if someone was stood behind me so as I had my camera in my pocket I thought I'd click a shot over my shoulder. I couldn't see anything with my eyes but the camera did pick something up. I looked at my view finder and made a hasty final escape from the house.


I know its not a pose that I would of chosen to share with everybody but hopefully whats in the far left corner is more interesting.

To the right hand side of the main figure it seems as though there is another face ? 
The Weslyn Chapel dates back to 1803 and was one on John Wesley's methodist chapels, below are a few photos of that period.

Extract from the history of John Wesley



John Wesley (1703 - 1791)
John Wesley was an Anglican clergyman born in his father’s parish at Epworth. After an education in Charterhouse School and Christchurch College Oxford, he entered a period of self questioning and spiritual searching. This took him to Georgia in America and Herrnhut in Germany. His conversion in Aldersgate Street (London) in 1738 is commonly agreed to mark the formal beginning of his evangelistic ministry.
He travelled around the country on horseback, preaching wherever he had opportunity. His Journal was written to enlighten his fast-growing group of followers. He preached the universality of grace and his message had a particular appeal to those moving from an agrarian lifestyle into the fast burgeoning industrial cities. Bristol, Cornwall, Newcastle upon Tyne and many towns and cities in Lancashire and Yorkshire were places where Methodism soon had a stronghold.
After the independence of America, Wesley pleaded with Bishop Lowth of London to ordain priests for the new Republic. The bishop refused which led to Wesley undertaking ordinations himself in 1784. This was, arguably, the one single factor which made the emergence of a separate Methodist Church inevitable.
John Wesley also took an active interest in politics and social reform. He was particularly interested in medicine; he experimented with electrotherapy, operated a pharmacy out of his first London chapel, the Foundery and also wrote a book of medical remedies called ‘Primitive Physic.’ He was also a keen abolitionist and campaigned vigorously until his death for the abolition of slavery. Wesley died in his home at Wesley’s Chapel, London on 2 March 1791, aged 87. 




John Wesley went on tours throughout the remote sections of the British Isles to preach enthusiastically to the neglected masses.  He began to preach the born-again gospel in open fields.  Pandemonium broke loose at his revivals, which were complete with exorcisms, healings, and visions. 
John Wesley would preach several times a day no matter the weather.  He drew outdoor crowds of up to 32,000 people.  Nothing like this had ever been witnessed before.
John Wesley and his followers were sometimes beaten by mobs and bombarded with stones, bricks, and fruit.  Apparently some took umbrage at his message of sin and salvation.  And not just Wesley, John Smythe, "the Conjurer," was the most mobbed Methodist in Ireland and eventually murdered.  William Seward was blinded and then torn to pieces by a mob in Hay. Methodist preaching houses were pulled down in many cities of England.

Hope you found my blog interesting, please email me with your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment